Monday, August 30, 2010

A little news

I just got back from Yaounde yesterday afternoon, and am preparing for a month full of activities before heading down there again to help with training the incoming volunteers, those who will replace us. So I will be checking out and counting tree plantations, teaching some courses, working on my demonstration field. At the refugee camp, we are nearing the end of our agroforestry class, which has spanned 6 months so far. Maybe a month to go, and then they will take their exams. I have really loved teaching this class, it has been a highlight of my work here. I've been going through looking at absences in order to determine when people will take their tests, and I'm surprised how many people have had no absences, or only 1 or 2. It is many more than I was expected, and is a great thing, really makes me feel good, although it makes assigning test dates more difficult than I had expected! I am also working on editing the Technical Manual which will be used by the incoming trainees. Our whole steering committee as well as many other volunteers have been working on it, submitting articles, editting, etc. It is a big task because this year will be the first year where the two programs (Sahel, Humid Highlands) will be combined. Training will be in one place, and volunteers will be sent all over the country. Up until now, each year flip flopped, sending agro volunteers to the North and Extreme North, and then to the other regions. So it has been a challenge putting information together from all over the country, as you know by now that Cameroon is an incredibly varied country in terms of climate, ecology, and thus agriculture. In addition, this year we will be having a group nearly double the size of ours. With the new Peace Corps push in America, Cameroon is a "target country" (because of its long, stable program) and is doubling its numbers of volunteers. Daunting to say the least, and I'm glad I'm not in administration right now! However, I look forward to going down and spending time with the new volunteers, helping out where possible, even if it means time away from post. I am still waiting to hear the result of my three month extension request, and will likely find out in the next week. If I get it, I will be coming home in February, and if not, then earlier than I had planned! Probably in December.

No comments: