Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Arrival in Cameroon---Sunday September 21

We have arrived in the country capital, Yaounde. We flew from from NY to Brussels and then from Brussels to Douala, the largest city in Cameroon, which is on the coast, where we spent one night in a hotel. The following morning we took a three hour bus trip up to Yaounde. So enough boring descriptions about travel logistics.I am in Cameroon. I am in Africa again. And Im not exactly sure what my feelings are exactly. I have been taking it all in. And while many people are already noticing their reactions: getting exited about being out of the US the first time, feeling happy about being back in Africa, looking forward to what we will be experiencing, feeling anxious about what will be hard, my feelings have been somewhat nonexistant. I notice that I am not incredibly excited, nor disappointed, not happy nor nervous. I am not sad, or anxiuos. I just am, and have just been taking it in. But I think that is somewhat normal (and can probably be attributed to the jet lag and days of travel).The ride up to Yaounde was really nice though, just to get to drive through so much countryside. It was so lush and green. The dirt is RED. And I saw my first African bird out the bus window (that was for you Ben) I dont know what kind it was, and it was flying, but it had a long tail and different shaped head and was certainly not a North American species, so that was super exciting.I have been thinking about the experience so far, and my lack of feelings, and have a picture of climbing up a mountain, where gradually, each step, I come more into my own, become more excited and purposeful, feel more at home. And eventually I will be at the peak.What I am most excited about right now:Getting traditional clothes madeGetting into the agroforestry trainingLanguage Language LanguageSeeing more of the countryContinuing developing relationshipsAnd it turns out that I dont know how much opportunity there will be to update this, as our schedule here in Yaounde, and then for training in Douala is very very packed, with little computer access or time (and the French keyboard continues to be my enemy, making typing take so much longer!) But hopefully from time to time......But thank you for your continued love and prayers. All is well and safe and we are doing well, happy, and excited, anticipating the training which soon begins!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,

Finally got around to looking for your blog and am thrilled with all the content. I do look forward to your furture posts. Hope all is well and you the Glennie clan is thining of you. Liz