Tuesday, September 16, 2008

rewind a week

So last Saturday (the 6th) my family was so wonderful to have a giant get together of dear friends. I think there were 45 people in our house for cookies and lemonade. That was a lot of cookies, all made by my sister, and mom and dad, who had an amazing oatmeal raisin, coconut, heath bar crumble concoction. (I'm sure there are still tins full, though we've been unloading them every chance we get on unwitting friends and guests). But I was struck by how it is such a beautiful thing that my sister and I have entered an age where all my parents friends have become our friends, and how wonderful it is, and how special it was to have them all present to wish me off, to wish me blessings, to pray over me and for me, and how meaningful it is to me that many of them have seen me grow up.

I was very surprised to receive many monetary gifts. I had talked with a previous PCV from Cameroon about her experience, and with similar contributions, she set up a fund that she could access when she got to her site and got to know her community, in order to fund a specific needed project. Often times, PCVs find specific projects that they can help get off the ground with matching funds from home and their village. This volunteer decided to use the money she received to help build and begin a library in one of her villages. So I put the money towards some last minute items needed to finish up packing, and then into an account, set aside for such a project. I would love to be able to work on a library (mmmmm books) or another similar project, and I will certainly keep you all updated on where that goes, as many of you were the donors!
Thank you all and thank you for coming last Saturday!

No comments: