Friday, November 21, 2008

November 7th, Friday--Francoise Mbango

Today we saw Francoise Mbango at the post office. Actually it wasn't as "everyday" as that. Jessie and I were walking to open up post office boxes and as we approached the post office. In front were tents, a stage, and music playing. As we got nearer, there werw signs saying "Bienvenue a Garoua, Francoises Mbango" et "Elle vaut de l'or".

Francoise is an Olympica athelete from Cameroon, in track and field. She won the gold medal in triple jump in 2004 and again this year in 2008. I didn't get to see her winning jump on TV this year but I think I remember my dad telling me abuot her, and also my friend Kailee emailing me a news article when she got the gold medal, saying "yay cameroon!"

So Jessie and I decided to stay, and Mike joined up with us. In typical African fashion, she was supposed to arrive around 1:00pm. We got there around 1:30 and I think it wasn't till 2:30 perhaps that she finallly rolled up, with the Governor. Meanwhile, everyone waited, as the grands slowly trickled in and live music played, and cold drinks were served (yes, cold drinks, what privilege).

The reason for her appearance was that she was doing a country-wide tour, which started in October 15. going till Nov 15, to talk to kids and present her medals. I'm not sure which province she was from, but she mentioned in her speech that one of her first meets or championships was in Garoua, so that's where she got her track start.

There were many school groups there and it was nice to see them all get a chance to see and listen to an Olympic athelet and to see such pride in her being Cameroonian. The lamido mentioned, that if anyone happens to break her record in the future, may they also be a young Cameroonian. After speeches form the grands, she gave a small speech and walked around shaking some hands. I really liked her. Jessie and I were feet from her but couldn't bring ourselves to push through. There was more music of course, and dancing.

We both agreed that it was such fantastic luck to run into that, that it was well worth the wait, and that was the closest we had ever been to an Olympic athelet. The music on the other hand, was another story, and you'll have to ask me about that later!

No comments: