Sunday, October 12, 2008

Rain

I love rain. And thankfully it is still the end of the rainy season here in the North. I am writing down every time it rains here, always wondering which will be the last. I loved rain before comnig here, to a very high degree, enjoying dancing in the rain, walking in the rain, running ni the rain, surfing in the rain, all great pleasures in life. But let me tell you, how MUCH I love rain here. The first time it rained here was our third night in Nassarao I think, the 27th. We were sitting around the compound in the evening and I looked up and the horizon was dark. I said "Its going to rain!?" Everyone jumped up and started gathering things and in a short time the rain came pouring down. I went to my room and to my latrine and reveled in the rain, taking a much enjoyed bath. With the rain came such a drop in temperature, a relief to the hot, hot, humid weather we had been having. The air cooled off, the water was cold, and wind cdame with it too. For the first time I laid in bed that night without sweating until I fell asleep. And to the sound of the water hitting the tin roof. Very cozy. And rain also means water for drinking and bathing which is wonderful. I knew when I was back in the States that I was going to be thinking in a drastically different way about water, that I would value it so much more. And I certainly do! Some times theres just not a lot of it around! And this is the rainy season! When it starts to rain I run outside and put my bucket right side up and put my filter out to catch the rain to use it. Seriously, when it rains, it is my favorite time here. (gonna be a long 8 months!)
With the rain comes beautiful clouds as well, a beautiful sky of changing colors, just like the sky at the beach, or over mountains. Gorgeous. At some point I will start adding photos, so that everyone can see. Until then, imagine, or look at my fellow trainee blogs!

1 comment:

libville said...

Elizabeth, it is such a treat to read your entries! Raining here today, so thinking of how much it means there. Praying for you often.
We love you!
the Hedstroms