Friday, February 11, 2011

Maurice Kirya comes to Garoua



Maurice Kirya, winner of the 2010 RFI prix decouvert, came to Garoua on his West Africa tour. From Uganda, he was one of 10 finalist across Africa in this music competition. As the winner, RFI (radio france international) set up a West African tour, where he is hitting up about 14 countries in 28 days. Tiring! I felt lucky that Garoua ended up being one of the cities, along with Yaounde and Douala. His concert was amazing, the best live music I've heard in 2.5 years, and I have a terrible quality video, taken from my phone, of a smidgen of one of his songs, and I'm debating whether or not upload it, because it's pretty bad. Sadly, this being Garoua and the center of non-appreciation of art, the concert was one of the least attended I have been to there, and for the most accomplished artist I have seen there! It made me very sad for him, and I hoped he wasn't too discouraged. But definitely check him out. He is an incredibly talented musician. He's actually coming to the states again (he just did a tour in Dallas, DC, Philly and NY) but I'm not sure where yet. Check him out at www.reverbnation.com/mauricekirya.


ok. i'll try the video, but if its awful quality, don't watch it! just buy his cd.



No comments: