Sunday, September 27, 2009

Rainy season is the Dying season

This is what I've come to understand. In the time I went to Yaounde for a few weeks I came back and about 4 people had died each week. Some were random, like a snakebite. Many are children. Rainy season brings the mosquitoes which bring the malaria. But I think also the fact that people work so hard during the farming season, they wear themselves out. Their bodies are tired and susceptible to sickness, which sometimes goes a little farther than treatable. Sometimes they die. My landlord and neighbor has been sick for over a month now and hasn't been able to farm, his family carrying most of the burden, yet not all of it, and they are forced to let some fields go. Apparently he gets sick like this every year and I wonder what it is. It pains me to see all their money go right out the window into doctor visits and medications which seem to have no effect. As crops come in they must be sold to cover the treatment. There is no getting ahead.

No comments: