Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"I hate technology...but not as much as poo you see. But I still hate techonology"

I'm hoping you sang the title to the tune of "I love techonology" in Napolean Dynamite because that is what I was singing in my head. (I only wrote poo because I couldn't think of something else to rhyme with "You" and I don't hate "You." I don't really hate poo, unless of course amoebas are involved)

So this week as reaffirmed my lifelong difficulty, lack of affinity with, and frequent dislike of techonology as I have watched three of my most "techonologically advanced" apparatuses malfunction, start to say their goodbyes, and generally make my life frustrating.

My camera: starting with my trip to Limbe back in June, my camera began acting up. I think it's telling me "Too many beaches, too much sand." Sometimes it has trouble opening up, taking photos and sometimes just refuses altogether to take photos. In addition, I've noticed recently there is a dark smudge on all of my photos. Great. So, who knows how many more photos I'll be taking. Enjoy the ones you've seen! My hopes are not too high on finding a place here that can/will clean/fix it.

My USB key: I got to the office one day recently to find that my USB key was filled with viruses. Some of the staff told me there was a computer lab down the block that would clean it for me. I walked the 10 minutes down the block in the full sun, always a joy, sat for a while while they looked at it and worked on it and finally told me, "ok, it's all done, it's good to go. no more viruses." Walked the 10 minutes back to the office now in fuller sun. Plugged in the computer. Same amount of viruses. Yay.

My computer: And then this is the big one. Recently, for the past five months or so, my computer has been sending me messages that virual memory is too low. I kept ignoring them slightly, trying to delete certain files here and there, compressing things, etc. But finally it's giving out. Now there is no longer enough space for a lot of programs to function correctly. I just spent a few hours stressfully going through and after uploading my photos online, deleting all my photos, trying to delete other unnecessary programs, going online to find virus software, and none of it even made a dent. Im' not sure if it's just old and giving in as well or if there is a virus that's eating up all the space. I'm assuming the latter, but don't know how to fix it. Why are there not more computer volunteers in the north??? My computer has served me for a good 6 years now, so I shouldn't complain and I'm not. I should probably just unplug it and put it to rest on the shelf...but it's hard to do, when I still want to upload photos from my camera, etc. And all of these things adding up recently has been, well not so pleasant. But I guess that's the downside of being priviledged enough to have those technology items in the first place...and become a bit accustomed to them.

Its a good thing I don't have anything more advanced, such as a nice Ipod or Iphone or blackberry. Surprisingly, many volunteers do. And I am glad that I did not buy anything new for the trip, as I figured the chances of it being stolen/ruined by heat, rain, dust were pretty high.

What to do now? Again I would hesitate buying something new for the above said reasons, so it looks like I'll be flying even more technologically solo from now on. I'll keep using my camera until it gives out for good, although I've got to take it somewhere to see if it can be cleaned b/c the black smudge is a bit too much on all my photos now. The computer is sad. No more burning CDs, no more using my own computer to type up work (sad because often the one volunteer computer in the office will have a waiting line), no more looking at all my old photos from college and the years after that flash up on my screen as a screensaver and make me smile and think of home. Oh well. I will survive, because afterall we do survive without techonology, as long as the world doesn't expect us to keep up.

And that brings up an interesting phenomenon in Peace Corps these days, which I have noted and we have been discussing a little bit with other volunteers, and that is this: Back in the 60s, with the beginning of Peace Corps, there were no laptops, volunteers were not handed cell phones in their third day in country, there was not internet at an arms length from post. Volunteers were put in the bush (in many cases) and carried on their lives with snail mail and supplies trips to capital cities every now and then, much more independent, much more isolated. Throughout the years, especially the past ten, techonological advances have been made in the developing world. Enter internet cafes, cell phones, volunteers arriving with laptops, skype. Especially in major cities, and Yaounde, the country capital, this is certainly the case and communication and techonology is just as advanced as what I was used to at home, with perhaps a few more glitches as machines act up, and maybe a little slower. (however this could be chalked up to poor machines bought on a Peace Corps budget). And the Peace Corps administration has run along with this advanced pace of life and new freedom, speed and ? with which to communicate and run its office. Here's the problem. While the rest of the country (major cities) are advancing, and many volunteers are in cities with access to all of these advances, many volunteers are still in "the bush" placed in tiny villages with no running water or electricity or cell phone reception, let alone internet, hours on poor roads from big cities and high speed communication. Basically still in the typical "Peace Corps situation" of 40 years ago. (perhaps more so for volunteers in the north, yet not limitted to, as I think of volunteers in the East Province who are two-three days journey from the country capital...they are out there) And the problem is that it feels like the administration forgets about this, and expects the rest of us to keep up with the changes "down south," or rather "in urbanity." Volunteer reports must be submitted digitally, on an excell program.

I find this whole phenomenon very interesting, and often at times very frustrating. So how's technology in the states of late? what's all this "twitter" deal? .....I dont' know.....:)

No comments: