Thursday, April 8, 2010

Trip south

A few nights ago I woke up in the middle of the night. I don't know what time it was cause my phone wasn't with me, but probably between 12 and 3 am. And I woke up because I was too hot to keep sleeping. My mouth was cottony. I drank some water, stumbled to the bathroom, went to the bathroom, poured water from a tea kettle all over me, and then stumbled back to bed. Only when sleeping in wet clothes, or with a wet sheet over you, is it bearable lately. I thought last year that March was hotter than April, but maybe I don't remember correctly, or maybe it changed this year. People are saying that it might start raining the end of this month even, with this heat. Anyway, all that is to say, that it certainly is bearable, but I am quite looking forward to my two week trip down south, coming up on Sunday. I will be traveling through the Adamawa, get to see another part of the country, stopping at my stagemate Anna's post in Banyo, west Adamawa just in time for her birthday. I'll continue on to Foumban in the West province for the training of the agros who have now been at post for 3 months. I'll be speaking about the Agroforestry Steering Committee, of which I am a part, and also sharing a "Best Practices" idea. I'm also looking forward to the field trip planned, excited to see agroforestry in another region, all while enjoying a part of the country whose rainy season has already started and who hopefully while have a nicer climate right now. They say the road from Ngoundere to Banyo (and then to Foumban) is hell, but I have to say after 13 trips on the train, I'm ready for a change, and willing to risk it (probably for the last time) with the car. It will be very good to see the other side of the Adamawa even if its terribly uncomfortable! After Foumban, maybe two days at the beach before heading to Yaounde for the Agroforestry Steering Committee meeting, before heading back home. It will be a very good break, which I feel I need, as the heat, plus being in village for a while seems to be wearing me down a little bit, or, rather my temper short! I'm finding in the past three weeks I have become very irritable, angry, frustrated with people, which is never a good thing, and a likely sign that maybe I need a little time away to recharch so that I can be nicer! And of course praying for more love to give to those around me instead of crabbiness! I'm looking forward to a little break!

No comments: