Monday, December 20, 2010

Baby bunnies


So the other day, Kelly told me that one of the rabbits had babies! Three. They are so cute! I think they were actually born around the same time as the five that died (when my parents were here). I believe because the mother was stressed with the heat, she aborted five, but then in the next few days had the others, but had dug a burrow so they were hidden. It's only in the past week that the three of them emerged, softball sized and completely furry. They are adorable, and I'm so happy I got to see them before I left. They have a nice shelter over their area for the heat now, and I am optimistic that they will reproduce and be a good project for many people in village. Already many people have expressed not only interest but incredible enthousiasm for raising rabbits, seeing them and saying "I want that!" I think it is a good alternative for households, when weighed against chickens, as the rabbits can be kept in an enclosed area. Home chickens wander around, passing diseases amongst other village chickens, and also being prone to theft. Recently, a bird sickness swept through Sanguere Ngal and killed everyone's chickens and ducks. I know someone who lost 20, and just before Christmas! I'm hoping that rabbits will be added to the small livestock collection of many villagers in Mafa Kilda and Sanguere Ngal.


*Photo courtesy of Kelly! :)