Monday, August 17, 2009

My pepiniere season 2009

For those of you who might be fellow agroforesters in tropical or sahelian areas and might be curious, these are the trees I produced in my personal pepiniere this season. I planted a good amount more but had low success rate with some of the species. Still others did very well. And the pepiniere has been such a wonderful thing for me, each morning and evening going through, watering, looking at which trees sprouted, which are growing well, recording germination times and growth rates. Truly I'm sad to see the season coming to an end. Daily my trees are emptying out as I plant them in my fields, around the house, take them to peoples houses, and people come over to take them. It has been one of the biggest joys to tell people in passing if they want a tree, to come over to my house. They come and they see which ones are available and the know exactly which one they want. They choose it, and walk home with it like it is a treasure. (And hopefully they plant it! haha.) I am very excited about expanding it next season, with more plants and more numbers! I particularly interested in going in the mountains to collect seed of wild trees and work on planting those. Most pepinieres only produce a certain amount of well-known species: maybe fruit trees, cassia siameas, neems, and trees with spines (acacia nilotica, senegal, and polyacantha as well as the zizyphus's). But i'm interested in working on introducing other species to our production and especially those which the villagers know and use (for food, or medicine) en brousse.


Carica papaye (Papaya) 12
Moringa oliefera 13
Moringa stenopetela 2
Leucaena leucocephela 55
Cassia siamea 60
Acacia Polyacantha 26
Acacia Senegal 20
Acacia Nilotica 8
Acacia Seyal 1
Dalbergia Sissoo 2
Fhederbia albida 3
Albezia Lebbeck 25
Office tree (unknown name) 2
(Flamboyant) 14
Khaya senegalensis (Cailcedrat) 5
Danielia oliveri 3
Zizyphus Mauritania 15
Combretum (unknown species) 9
Bauhinia large 3
Bauhinia small 10
Thevetia 10
Azadiracta indica (Neem) 1
Total Trees Produced (roughly) 299



No comments: